Week 41- I'm dreaming of a white (not hot & sweaty) Christmas!

“But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people, that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of the darkness into his marvelous light.” 1 Peter 2:9

Nov. 28, 2011

Feliz Navidad..Feliz Navidad!! Christmas is coming and I am sweating like a pig. I don’t think there is any more polite way to say that. It is 40+ degrees Celsius outside which converts to 104 degrees Fahrenheit and it is HOT. I have been sick this week and that means that I have been sleeping a ton. I am not sure what I have- I just know that it’s not dengue nor chicken pox, so that’s good.

Today for P-day we ate Lomitos with our zone full of elders...Lomitos are a Paraguayan burrito. They are kind of like gyros from Europe with garlic sauce and meat and cabbage inside. Yum. We also watched the elders play soccer and ultimate Frisbee because the hermanas aren’t allowed to play with them. Talk about injustice! But it’s okay...I am getting over it.

Pamela and Junior got baptized and confirmed! It was a great double baptism- their older sister Gladys even came (her first time in the church building) but unfortunately their mom didn’t come. Little Pamela is so cute (9 years old) and she bore her testimony at the baptism and said that she knew Thomas S. Monson is a prophet, that Joseph Smith restored the Church, that the Church is true and that if it hadn’t been for the hermanas she would never have found the Gospel and be able to get baptized and return to live with God again. Talk about just melting a Hermana missionary’s heart! Demasiada chulina. In Junior’s confirmation, the Bishop talked about how he will receive the Priesthood and be able to prepare to go on a mission. They are awesome kids!

We had a Family Home Evening a couple of weeks ago that I forgot to tell you about. We gathered up all the neighborhood Mormon kids and played EFY (Especially For Youth) games at Gissell’s house. It was super fun and it reminded me of the good ole days when I was an EFY counselor (except in Spanish).

Random Paraguayan fact: If you watch any Paraguayan doing yard work, you will notice that the only tool they use is a machete. They cut down trees with a machete and they make these wide swinging motions to cute grass with a machete. It is a multi-use tool here! One time, I saw a Paraguayan cutting her grass with a butter knife. Don’t ask me why.

Some members brought some investigators to church, so that gave us a few more leads of people to go visit and teach. Unfortunately two of our investigators, Leidi and Jorge, didn’t come to church yesterday.

Well, sorry there aren’t more exciting things to report this week. That’s just what happens when you get sick.

A few lines from my thankful list from Thanksgiving: I am thankful that I know how to read, that I have enough food to eat, that we have air conditioning in the room where we sleep, for my mission, my parents, my sisters, my family and friends, my Savior, the Restored Gospel and Joseph Smith.

Thank you everyone for your love and support for me. It means the world to me and I love you all!


Love, Hermana Brittner

No comments:

Post a Comment