Week 39- Paraguay Roads, Chicken Pox, and Lightning & Thunder!


Nov. 14, 2011

Five people riding on one motorcycle, a baby hanging off the side. A bus so jam-packed that people are literally hanging out the side. A 13-year-old driving a motorcycle with his little sister, going to the grocery store. A horse-drawn cart with a man on the back driving, next to a huge semi-truck and a taxi stopped at a red light.


These are just a few of the usual things you will see in Paraguay when you are walking around town. They have laws (I think) but I am not sure what they are. Jaywalking is expected across six lanes of traffic, babies don’t have car seats, people don’t wear seat belts and there is not an enforced motorcycle helmet law (which results in many fatal and serious injuries every year). Most people have motos or they take the bus. I imagine it is a lot like how the US was many years ago. The horse-driven carts just show how the old traditions of Paraguay live on, despite the changing environment and thriving technology.


Don’t worry, I still look both ways before I cross the street and I am very cautious. I just thought you would be interested to know what the roads are like here.


Well, this Sunday there was a HUGE thunder and lightning storm which meant that our church attendance was cut in half and our investigators didn't come like they promised. However, we are expecting them to come next week and planning a baptism a week from Wednesday!


My companion is great! We are having a good time together and even more exciting is that Hermana Astle and Hermana Van Dusen are going out to work with us tonight and then staying over!! Woot woot! They need a place to stay because they drove in from Concepcion for the Zone Conference they have tomorrow. I am sooo excited!! Some of my best mission comps! Woot woot! We are having FHE at Gissell’s house tonight and it’s going to be great.


Gissell is awesome! She has started reading all of the church books that we gave her for her baptism and taking notes on them.


Hermana Tua`one was sick on Tuesday so I spent a good amount of time writing letters and watching Mr. Krueger’s Christmas and the Testaments. While she was asleep, I received a call from Hermana Madariaga advising us that an elder has chicken pox and that we need to be careful. We had been exposed to him and his sickness. I have already had chicken pox but I wasn’t sure if my sick, sleeping companion had. I was thinking, ¨A week in this house?¨ and nervously awaited her awakening, but por suerte, she has already had them. Whoo. I’ve had enough sickness on my mission for both me and my companions, and I don’t want to spend more time in the house again.


Speaking of sickness, one of my old companions is going home for health issues, but hopefully she will be coming back. It’s sad but we’re hoping things can get worked out so she can come back.


I have had a few experiences this week with people of other religions that have just made me so very grateful to be a member of the true restored Church on the earth today. The Gospel just makes sense. The Book of Mormon is true. It’s the evidence of the restoration. We have a living prophet on the earth today. The Church was restored through the prophet Joseph Smith.


We are decorating our house for Christmas...lights and all. We don’t have a tree but little decorations..it’s chulina. We have our zone conference on Thursday- I am super excited.


Well, love you all, hope you have a great week.


Until Next Week,

Hermana Brittner

PS. Taylor- Great job on your volleyball season- Go number 24!!


No comments:

Post a Comment