Week 37- Happy Halloween!

Oct. 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

So you are probably wondering what Halloween is like here in Paraguay. Well, they don’t officially celebrate Halloween in Paraguay, although sometimes they have parties the weekend before. This past Friday the youth put on a huge Halloween dance and invited the whole stake. They sold snacks at the dance to raise money for EFY “Especially For Youth” (coming for the first time ever in January! Woot!) and it was a smashing success. They had decorations like in the States and a lot of people dressed up. They don’t have trick or treating or anything like that though.

Saturday morning we participated in a service project, painting walls and moving rocks at an addiction help center. It was fun- we even got to wear the yellow Mormon helping hands shirts =) Da gustar ayudar a las personas. OH and it was about 100 degrees outside! There were missionaries there from 2 zones. We hurried from the service project home to shower, then to our lunch appointment, and then we walked a half hour to get to the church and it was sooo hot! Our investigator Gissell was baptized!! Our baptism went well, even though the person who was going to baptize Gissell fell through and in the middle of the baptismal service we realized we needed another witness. But while they were watching a movie, the Bishop called someone and it all worked out. It had started raining hard and in Paraguay, that means no one leaves their houses or shows up to whatever activity is going on. So we had the Bishop, the 1st counselor who was conducting, with his family, Gissell’s neighbor and their family and us. Gissell´s mom went out of town and didn’t come. Gissell had the biggest smile on her face as she came out of the water! Afterward we served banana bread. (Paraguayans are crazy about that stuff.)

Sunday she was confirmed and I felt the Spirit so strongly. It was awesome! Her smile was a mile wide and you could tell that she is converted to the Gospel, not just a baptized member. She is awesome, so sweet and receptive. She was a reference from a member, one in three here get baptized. Which one of your friends can you refer to get baptized and receive the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ? After the confirmation Hermana Young and I gave talks on missionary work. It’s amazing how easy it is for me to talk for 10 minutes as a missionary, whereas before my mission it seemed like 10 minutes was forever. I spoke about the joy that comes from missionary work. I started crying while bearing my testimony as I thought about how much I have learned here and enjoyed this ward and this experience.

We went to TGI Fridays today as a Zone activity and I thought I was in America. SO weird!! That was my first time in a restaurant in a long time. The elders in my zone are pretty entertaining right now. I am happy, healthy and full of joy, the Spirit, and lots of food. Thanks for all your letters and support. Oh yeah, last thing: changes/transfers are on Saturday this week because President will be going out of town. So I have no idea if I will be going or staying or who my companion will be... I hope I stay but it’s in the Lord’s hands.

Until next week,

Hermana Brittner

No comments:

Post a Comment