Week 42- Pan Dulce and Mice Adventures!

“...As the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under the heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.” (2 Nephi 25: 20)

Dec. 5, 2011

Hello, hello, hello!
As Christmas approaches, we are entering a season of great joy, happiness and...pan dulce. What is pan dulce, you might ask? Well, the English translation is “sweet bread,” but it’s what we Americans would call, “fruitcake.” I can think of many-a-holiday joke centered on this festive dessert but in Paraguay, it is not like that. People take their pan dulce seriously and take great pride in making it, selling it and giving it to their neighbors and favorite missionaries with love. I can think of many, many holiday desserts that I would prefer over this so called sweet bread but being as South America is not big on sweets and that’s where I will be spending Christmas, I plan on putting on my best smile and eating their preferred Paraguayan holiday treat with a joyful heart. But please, when I come home, do not buy me pan dulce in hopes of reminding me of what they eat in Paraguay. I will be just fine with some apple pie, mint brownies, cheesecake...

Well, another week has passed and I am feeling a lot better. I was feeling better on Wednesday and we worked a full day. Unfortunately, then my companion got sick and was down Thursday and Friday. This meant we spent a lot of time in the house and I watched A LOT of church movies...Legacy, the Testaments, District 2 (missionary training movies), Joseph Smith movie, etc, etc. (side note: I wish they would make a District movie in South America- it would be so legit!) But it was good to relax, clean and catch up on letter writing.

December 8th marks a very important day in Paraguay for those of another faith. This is the day that many people walk to Caacupe to worship the Virgin of Caacupe. I’m not exactly sure where she came from or why they think they should worship and pray to her, but many people do. They walk all the way there (a few hours away from Asunción) or some of them cheat and take the collectivo and only walk a little bit but they walk with a purpose. Apparently they promise the Virgin that they will give up something or act a certain way so that she will continue to bless their family. Just a cultural tidbit!

Some good news is that we had a full house at church on Sunday! I love fast Sundays in Loma because all of the Primary kids get up first thing and run up to bear their testimonies (at least 15 of them). Then they all finish and leave the stand at the same time. There are always more people who want to bear their testimony than they have time for. Pamela and Gissell both bore their testimonies in Sacrament Meeting. It was very special. Gissell, Junior and Pamela are doing great. Gissell and Junior got their temple recommends and they are planning to go this Saturday with the youth. I wish I had more to report on the investigator side, but with all the sickness that we have been experiencing in our little companionship, we don’t have too much going on right now.

An experience that was somewhat entertaining this week was a lesson that we held with a member’s mom. It wasn’t the lesson that was entertaining but rather, the little mice that kept scurrying across the room and behind their furniture as we sat talking with them. I’m not sure if they didn’t see them, were just ignoring them, or had adopted them as the house pets, but nonetheless, it made Hermana Tua'one and I give each other more than a few raised eyebrows, trying not to laugh and muttering to each other under our breath in English. All the while that this was going on, the lady’s 95-year-old dad, who wasn’t quite all there, said to us, every ten minutes, “seems like it’s going to rain.” I wish we could have practiced in the MTC (Missionary Training Center) for some of the crazy things that go on during lessons in Paraguay!

Here in Paraguay, they build their cemeteries above ground. They don’t bury people underground. They build little houses at the cemetery with enough room to fit their whole family and they just stack the coffins on top of each other whenever someone dies. Quite different than the states.

Anyway, that’s all for now. I want to wish my two sisters, Rae and Becca, a very happy birthday! I love you both tons and hope your birthdays (were) are wonderful!!!

And also, I want to congratulate my friend, Faith, for getting her mission call here to Asunción Norte, which is the best mission on earth! I am so excited you are coming here and who knows, I could be your mom! (That’s mission talk for trainer ;))

Hasta luego,
Hermana Brittner

No comments:

Post a Comment