Week 20- Happy 4th of July from Paraguay!

“I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me. Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me. I tremble to know that for me he was crucified, that for me a sinner he suffered, he bled and died. Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me.” Hymn #193- I Stand All Amazed.

Dear Family and Friends:

¿Mba´e chapa? That is Guarani for “how are you?” Happy 4th of July!! Happy belated Canada Day! To celebrate the 4th of July, we are having a Family Home Evening at Flia. Flores and eating panchos (hot dogs)! We are going to teach about how important religious freedom is and also say the Pledge of Allegiance and maybe sing the Star Spangled Banner. I can honestly say that I have never been more grateful to be American...or just to be from somewhere that is not a third world country. There are SOOO many things that we take for granted...so many. I am grateful that most people in America know how to read...that we have traffic laws that are actually obeyed...that we have WAL-MART...that we believe in education and following our dreams...that we have religious freedom to worship how and what we will...and for many, many other things. Eat some barbeque for me and enjoy the fireworks. I have gained a new sense of pride, appreciation and perspective since spending my days in Paraguay.

So it is now the Copa América de Fútbol here in Paraguay. It’s like the World Cup, but only for South America/Central America. This makes things kind of tricky with teaching appointments because every night, people are watching the game!! And of course, we as missionaries aren’t allowed to watch. It’s a temptation but I am resisting. Also, all the kids are on a 2-week summer vacation so we are looking for more people to teach. This Sunday, Ismael came to church again. This is great...although he refuses to get baptized. He has started doing family history work, going to institute classes and even bought a suit for church. He is just like a member but hasn’t been baptized! We are not exactly sure why he won’t get baptized. We stopped meeting with him a few months ago. Hopefully he will change his mind soon. We have also been working with a 13-year-old named Fabiola. She is so cute and knows the Church is true but her dad won’t give her permission to get baptized. We will see what happens.

I am grateful for my testimony of the truthfulness of the restored Gospel. Working with so many less actives and hearing some of their odd theories on religion have really made me appreciate the simplicity and truthfulness of the Gospel. I know it’s true! I would not be devoting 18 months of my life to a mission if it wasn’t.

Cambios “transfers” are Wednesday and we find out TONIGHT if they will impact us. So nerve wracking! Pretty sure my trainer is leaving- we will see! I will be sending lots of pictures next week so be ready!!

Cariño,

Hermana Brittner

No comments:

Post a Comment