Week 78- Making a mark on Paraguay!


“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:”
2 Timothy 4:7
 
13 de agosto, 2012

Where has the time gone? I feel like I just said goodbye to my family and walked through the doors of the MTC, into the biggest adventure of my life. My time is coming to an end in Paraguay and I don’t know how that happened so quickly.


One of the elders said, “Why don’t you ask President to extend your mission three weeks or so, to make up for the time you were sick with dengue?” The other elders have been reminding me that if I were an elder, I would have 6 months left. Yes, I’ll admit, at this point, I’m a little jealous.


On a funnier note, my companion has officially inherited a whole new wardrobe from me. She got my skirts and shirts that have been mended and re-mended that you would really only be excited to receive if you were still serving a mission in Paraguay. Lol. Also, can I just add how much I love being tall! So many men that come up to us, grab Hermana Greer’s arm or hand and try to kiss her. They even propose to her. I guess they think I am out of their league :) or better said, out of their height range. The funniest time was when one snake (annoying man) slightly drunk, talked to us and expressed his love to Hermana Greer and then as we walked past him down the street, he said, ´mi amorcita´ my little love. Lol. I just laughed and laughed because it wasn’t me for once!


Well, we had a baptism this weekend!! Yes, a totally unplanned, unexpected baptism that was the perfect going-away gift! Such a miracle! We showed up at Lujan’s house to go on visits with her mom and she came out and sat with us. Lujan is a long time investigator who is 13 years old. We worked with her when we first got to Piribebuy but had to drop her because she kept putting off the whole baptism thing. She almost got baptized two years ago but it didn’t happen for one doubt or another. She has been coming faithfully with her mom but had some kind of fear of going in the water. We have been visiting her periodically over the last few months, seeing if she had changed her mind but we didn’t see any changes. Anyhow, we showed up at her house on Wednesday and told her that I was leaving (did I ever mention that I kept the date of my departure a secret until 2 weeks ago?). So we jokingly asked her if she would like to get baptized before I left so I could be there. Surprisingly, she agreed!! Wow, what a great going away present! She was successfully baptized (on the first attempt) by the branch President, Pres. Benitez. She exclaimed when she stepped in the water, “it’s too cold!” Her mom had tears rolling down her cheeks as she bore her testimony and spoke of how the Lord answered her prayers- her daughter finally agreed to be baptized! Lujan is a cute, spunky girl and it was a pleasure working with her and teaching her (and trying to keep her attention, haha).


On Sunday, we had the baptism after church. Sunday was the 12th of August- the anniversary of a big battle which was fought in this town. They always have a huge parade and it’s a really big deal. They have been banging the drums all week practicing, which has resulted with us doing our morning studies to the boom-boom beat of the drum. I love how patriotic Paraguayans are! Church was pushed back to 4pm with only a Sacrament Meeting. I gave my final talk on the importance of visiting members, especially new converts. Unfortunately, very few people came to church. We did have a great turn-out with investigators, however! 5 were in church!!! Lujan, who got baptized and 4 other investigators who we stopped working with because they weren’t progressing. We have been telling everyone it’s my last week and so they came to see me off. Santiago came and I think he will get baptized in the next month. Luis and Liz Mabel, the cute family we were working with, came with her little brother and stayed for the baptism. I was SO happy to see them all there.


We have been seeing so many miracles in the past couple of weeks and finding tons of families and potential Priesthood holders.
  I don’t even have time to write it all. I also forgot to mention that when I went back to Loma I found out that two of my old investigators got baptized! One of them was Justo’s older brother, who had run away and we were so worried about him. I feel so happy and blessed to know that people we have to drop sometimes eventually get baptized.

It seems that everyone here in Piribebuy cries when
tell them I am leaving, which includes me. I will miss the people here SO much. I love them with all my heart and I will never be the same. As Hermana Greer said, “You have made your mark on Paraguay and Paraguay has made its mark on you.”

As my companion has pointed out, I will probably spend the next 6 months, if not my entire life, saying, “One time on my mission...” Hope you’re ready and excited to here about it! Family and Friends thank you for your constant support and love in my life. I feel so blessed to know each one of you and to have been able to share my mission experiences with you. I hope they have helped you in your life and strengthened your testimonies.


I want you to know that I love this work. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ is the only true church on the earth today and I feel privileged to be a missionary in this church. I love Jesus Christ and I know that He lives. He died for us and asks that we follow Him to find true happiness in this life. Thomas S. Monson is a true and living prophet of God. I have spent the last year and a half testifying of him and defending his name. I know that he is guided by Jesus Christ to tell us the will of God. I love the people of Paraguay and because of them, I will never be the same.


May God bless each one of you and strengthen you during the hard times and
the good times in your lives.

With Sincere Love,
Hermana Brittner

No comments:

Post a Comment