Week 73- Leave it all on the field!


“Forever is composed of nows.” Emily Dickinson

July 9, 2012


I am not sure how many of you have had the chance to read the Hometeaching message for this month in the Ensign by President Utchdorf but it really impressed me. It had to do with always being in the middle point. He counseled that whether it is the day that you arrived in the mission field, or the day before you go home, you should always act as though you are in the middle point. That means giving it all you have and not thinking too much about the future or the past, but living in the moment. It was a good wake-up call for me to focus, as it sometimes seems more exciting to think about what is coming up than dealing with the frustrations and difficulties of today. Although it may seem strange, the only way to be truly happy is to live in the moment and focus on what is happening- the good and the bad. How can you make choices for tomorrow when tomorrow never comes? You can only make choices for today.


President Utchdorf also spoke about how we are in the middle point of our eternal existence. We existed before we were born and we will live after we die. This is just part of our journey of existence. I really liked that- the eternal perspective changes everything- it changes the way we view ourselves, others, and the choices we make. I know that we will live again. I know that I will see my Grandpas again. I know that Christ died so that we could have the gift of eternal life- living eternally in His presence and in the presence of God and our families, if we do everything we can to be worthy of that gift while here on earth.

I recall advice that my soccer coach gave us when we were winning by a ton or losing by a ton. “Leave it all on the field. Don’t bring anything home with you. Leave everything you have on the field and go home exhausted, satisfied and happy. Then it will not matter if you won or lost because you will know that you had played your hardest.”  It’s some of the best advice I have ever received. Play hard, no regrets. It ain’t over ´til it’s over.

Unfortunately our mortal bodies are frail and this week Hermana Greer and I both got sick. First, I got sick with some kind of cold- flu thing and then Hermana Greer but she was hit a little bit harder. We have finished a whole bottle of Dayquil, made a dent in the Nyquil, used lots of tissues and taken lots of naps. I am almost 100% better but not quite.


Sunday Hermana Greer felt the worst so I was in charge of teaching the Gospel Principles class. We headed home afterwards. I really love teaching. It’s so fun! I taught about fasting and I loved seeing the light go on in the student’s eyes. I taught the class in gloves and my long winter coat because, in case I didn’t mention it before, central heating doesn’t exist in Paraguay. Don’t worry though, we are spoiled and have a heater in our bedroom and don’t worry Mom, I haven’t heard of any cases of dengue here in Piri and anyway it’s too cold for the mosquitoes to survive, anyhow.


The miracle of Sunday was that once again, Santiago came! We often can’t find him during the week but he just still keeps coming to church. I think he is ready to get baptized, he just doesn’t know it yet. Also, he wants one of us to baptize him! Haha, a gentle explanation about how we don’t hold the Priesthood will have to be given. Nelli, a less-active Hermana came to church after Pres. Benitez visited her with us. If the members, especially the Bishopric could just understand the power of visits and the power they have as members to help less-actives and investigators come to church! If the Branch President visits someone, they are 10 times more likely to come to church than if we just visit them as missionaries. Also, we taught a recent convert, Maria Liz, about the importance of seeking knowledge through coming to church all three hours, and she came all three hours!! I think it was the first time since she’s been there the whole time since she was baptized! We were really delighted about that!


We also had some cool Family Home Evenings this week that I don’t have time to go into detail about. We have been holding FHE’s at member’s houses and inviting a few families to increase unity and cultivate friendships in the ward. It has been a lot of fun. Also, we taught Ruben and Lela about the word of wisdom with the help of his brother, Pres. Valazquez and I thought it was a really good lesson. Ruben’s response when we invited them to live the word of wisdom was “It’s going to be hard, but we have to do it, right?” They didn’t come to church Sunday but Ruben told me he was following through with his commitment to stop the social drinking he does with his friends. We will see how he did, as yesterday was the huge soccer game between Cerro and Olimpia, basically like the Super bowl here with the rivalry you would find between BYU and University of Utah (let’s be honest, my companion chose a perfect sick day yesterday because I didn’t want to have to work on game day with all the crazies out).


A little Paraguayan culture:

-One of the first thing Paraguayan kids want to know is what “club” you are, or rather, which soccer team you have chosen.
- School is cancelled when it is too cold or it’s raining. There isn’t even a question; you just don’t go, because you know no one will be there, not even the teacher. Now the whole, “It’s raining so we can’t go to church” makes more sense.
- Little kids and probably adults have no idea what a seatbelt is.
- Paraguayans use the inside of an oven to store pots and pans. Baking does not happen here.
- I saw the first clothes dryer ever this week. Chuchi, chuchi, chuchi. Mercedes, our laundry lady, bought it and we were in charge of teaching her how to set it up and use it. It was pretty hilarious. People can’t afford dryers, especially when the sun outside is free.
- In the winter, people go to sleep at like 6 or 7, because their bed is the warmest place in their house.
- The clothing style of winter is sweats or work out suits and tennis shoes. Seriously, it’s what everybody wears all the time. Jeans are not popular here. In the summer, all the girls wear leggings-spandex, and usually there is some misspelled English written on their clothes that no one knows how to pronounce.
- Halls cough drops are considered candy. I’m just happy because it means I can find them in dispensas when I’m sick!

Love you all!

Hermana Brittner

PS While writing this email, the power went out in the cyber and on the whole street, so we left, bought groceries and came back to finish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment