Week 77- Saying Goodbye to Loma Pyta Friends!

Wow, what a week. I was able to go to Loma Pyta to say goodbye to my friends there and although I didn’t get to see half the people I wanted to, I am very thankful for that opportunity. I got to see 5 of my converts and it was so great! Josecito and the Suarez family came to the chapel to have one last lesson with me. The Spirit was so strong! I couldn’t help but smile as I shared my testimony with the people that I love so much. I feel honored to have been in the presence of so many strong members and to have been able to learn from their examples.

Hno. Suarez shared something with me that I would like to share with you. He compared ending a mission to completing our time on earth. We existed before we were born and we will exist after we die. Before we were born, the spirits in the Spirit World bid us farewell and expressed votes of confidence. They were sad to see us go but knew it was for the best. We were welcomed into the world as babies to loving families and all were excited to see us. When one departs from this world those who are left behind mourn their death while those in the Spirit World rejoice and have a grand reunion. Such it is with a mission. Those at home anxiously anticipate the missionary’s arrival while those in the mission field (or Paraguay) lament such a loss of the missionary.

I think that is the only way to describe it. And honestly, being a missionary is like being on the other side of the veil, because all you can see is the Gospel and all the temporal is removed from your eyes. You see things as they really are and you see how much time, effort and worry is wasted on the things that don’t really matter.

This week Juan Leon came to church again. I think he will get baptized. The only problem is he has very limited understanding and we will have to teach very simply. We are still working with Marium and Jorge. They didn’t come to church however.

This week is cultural week which I am really excited about. August 12 is a huge holiday because it was when a battle was fought here in Piribebuy. I don’t know the details, only that women and children fought. Anyhow, they are having a huge parade on Sunday, which is the day August 12 falls on. All the high school kids are required to participate to pass their classes so we are having Sacrament Meeting at 4pm. My last Sunday in Paraguay.

Well, love you all!!
Hermana Brittner



Going Home
 
By: Elder Phil McAnelly (1986)

Today I watched an elder leave, it almost made me cry.

He shook our hands and walked away, then he turned and waved goodbye.
I didn't know him very well, because I'm new you see
but in twenty months or a little more, that elder will be me.

His eyes were stern, his mouth was set, but the tears began to fall

As he started on that long, long walk; the longest walk of all.
Though only a hundred feet or so, five times he turned and waved.
Looking over a place he loved and at the friends he'd made.

From a simple bamboo airport shack across the blacktop strip

He began his homeward journey; the long awaited trip.
Now is the time for looking back, reflecting on his soul.
Did he give the Lord his best? Did he strive to meet the goal?

What others thought, or did, or said, has no meaning now,

for he must answer to the Lord for what he did and how.
Because the longest walk of all, the one he made today
Is the one you make within yourself as you grow and learn each day.

In twenty months or a little more, that elder will be me.

I hope by then I've done my best, for now and eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment