Week 67- Finding our way around Piribebuy!


28 of May, 2012

One of the things Hermana Greer thought was strange when she first arrived here was the fact that there are really no concrete directions to get anywhere. This area is better- they actually have street names and street signs but numbers do not exist. The postal workers walk on foot when they have to deliver something and just ask around the neighborhood until they find the people they are looking for. So do the missionaries. It goes something like this: “Go up two blocks, turn right next to the corner store, go straight for 3 blocks then you will see 3 houses on the left, it’s a white house with green gates and lots of plants.” I guess I have gotten used to these directions, because it doesn’t seem to phase me anymore, but my companion is still getting used to it.

This week the weather has been great, except for two rainstorms. We went out to work in the rain and an American lady stopped us.  She was a missionary from another church and she was contacting us to invite us to her congregation! Well, I wasn’t going to let her go without inviting her to our church and explaining about the Book of Mormon. So that’s just what I did and I’m pretty sure I saw little flames shoot up in her eyes at the sound of the Book of Mormon. It was a short conversation! I am so happy to be serving in Paraguay where that isn’t a common occurrence. I have heard it happens quite often in the States. I am just glad I don’t have people attacking my beliefs all day long. Anyhow, I came away with a stronger testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. I know that it is the word of God and there is nothing anyone can say or do which would lead me to think otherwise. I have seen too much, traveled too far, and been too blessed, to not believe in it. The Lord has restored the true Gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth today and given us a living Prophet to guide us.

Relief Society and Young Women were combined on Sunday because so few people showed up. The teacher, Mercedes, shared a story and talked about the importance of record keeping. She shared a story of a renowned violinist who had a chance to study at a great school but chose to give up the opportunity and sell his beloved violin to serve a mission. By the end of the story my companion and I were both crying. I thought about how much my mission means to me- how much it has changed me and how it has given me a greater perspective into the Gospel and this world. I thought about how it has taught me to love another people more than I love myself. I thought about how little I have had to sacrifice to serve a mission and how much greater the blessings have been that I have received. I am eternally grateful for all the experiences I have had here.

Earlier today while I was emailing pictures, I sat next to people speaking German. It was pretty weird to hear something that wasn’t Guarani or Spanish. We dropped Lujan and Ruben and Lela and we are now looking for new people to teach. We had a miracle on Sunday- two investigators came even though it was raining! Liz and Julio, who are 15 and 11 and kids of a less-active lady we are working with. Unfortunately, she chose not to come and her son Julio could only come because he didn’t have a soccer tournament due to the rain. I guess that was one good thing about it raining!

One of the highlights of the week was going to our Saturday lunch appointment at a ranch. The forest that surrounded their home was beautiful! We had an awesome lesson where we acted out the 10 commandments (minus the 8th one). It was pretty hilarious and the best act was when one of the boys acted out not praying to graven images- he pretended like he was praying to a thermo of terere/a pitcher of tea.

Anyhow, that’s all!! Love you all! I love that Hermana Young and Sara Crase ran into each other in Provo-small world!

Also, congrats Franklin for successfully finishing your mission- we will have to have a jam session when I get back.  Also, Happy Birthday to my little sister, Jodie!!

Sending my love your way,
Hermana Brittner


No comments:

Post a Comment