Week 43- "Head, Shoulder, Knees & Toes"

“...When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” Mosiah 2:17

Dec. 12, 2011


Hello, hello again!


We had some cool service projects this week. The first one was the annual mission Christmas celebration. We met up with two different zones and I got to see my old MTC companion, Hermana Peel who was there also! So fun! We ate a nice lunch at the office and then watched a movie about the birth of Jesus Christ. After that we went to a home for abandoned boys. I wasn’t sure what to expect. When we arrived there were about a dozen boys sitting on the couches, and about 50 missionaries. Pictures of Saints and the Virgin Mary were on the walls. We started singing Christmas carols and the boys looked either asleep or not sure what to think. We sounded great- like a celestial choir- the acoustics in the room were amazing and the elders with us really knew how to sing and of course, we had Hermana Peel too. But it wasn’t until we sang “Jingle Bells” (in English) that the boys started to lighten up and enjoy listening to us. Then we sang “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes” and they were laughing and it was so cool to think that we could bring a little bit of Christmas cheer into their lives. Their parents had abandoned them and that’s why they were there. As we were singing the Christmas hymns about our Savior’s birth, I felt the Spirit so strongly and it reminded me of how much God loves all of His children, no matter who they are or where they are. It reminded me that when we are serving others, that is when we are truly loving them and feeling the love that God has for all of his children. It was a very special Christmas event and I will never forget it.


On Saturday, we went to a Hermana’s house in the ward and painted her fence and gates. I am becoming such a pro painter! Apparently that’s a favorite service project in this area. Another couple from the ward painted with us and it was so fun (and hot)!


We had a cool lesson with a family of investigators when we went on splits. I was with Gabi, who is 17 and we taught Adriana and Andrea and their mom, who was visiting from
Brazil. We taught the Joseph Smith story and got to clarify all of the doubts that they had like, “I heard that you pray to Joseph Smith” (which we do not, but it makes me wonder why they would have a problem with that because so many people pray to saints, virgins and angels here). “I also heard that Joseph Smith wrote another Bible...why do we need another Bible” and the most common comment we hear, “I was already baptized...” What I’ve realized is that it’s so much more important to teach people and help them understand, rather than feeling like we have to teach specific lessons no matter what, and you leave and they have no idea what you were talking about. It’s so important that the Spirit is the key part when you teach people because the Spirit brings understanding and is responsible for the conversion process.

Gissell went to the temple! Her family is doing well. We had an interesting lesson with her mom and older sister. It started out as a lesson about the Sabbath Day and turned into a lesson on the Word of Wisdom. We explained about the Sacrament and wine and how we don’t drink it. Her sister Gladys said, “Well, doctors say a little wine is healthy.” My response was “Well, God says we shouldn’t consume it. Which one are you going to trust in?”


Well, this is another week of changes/transfers. Since I have already been in this area for 6 months, chances are very likely I will be leaving. One-third of my mission has been spent in Loma and how I have loved it! We will see where the Lord wants me to go next!


Con cariño y amor,

Hermana Brittner

PS Mom and Dad- Happy Anniversary! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment