Week 60- Squeals of delight, a great b-day, and humble investigators!

April 9, 2012

Alright so my companion just informed me that I yell at the computer with surprise and delight whenever I read emails from my family (I wonder what the Paraguayans think in the internet cyber café when I start yelling in English :)). Apparently I also do this when I am reading dearelders and letters. Just know that it brings me great joy to hear how things are going back home and to know that my family and friends are doing great!

This week there are way too many amazing things to write about and way too little time to do it.

To start with, my birthday was great, filled with phone calls from old companions, the mission president’s wife and little birthday packages. My companion surprised me with balloons, a b-day banner, a present and french toast. Yes, she is the best. We went out and worked since that’s what we do here and basically no one let us in. To top it off, it was Good Friday, Viernes Santo, which they take very seriously here, as the day that Christ was crucified. They think that you should just visit people and sit around and drink terere, and not let the missionaries in. Just kidding about the last part. I did get snaked about a million times on my b-day though. Lol, I usually choose not to notice anymore but sometimes they are just so blunt, it’s funny. Like when we went to buy ice cream and pizza to celebrate my b-day, the guy working there was staring at me so hard I thought his eyes would fall out and then he started fixing his hair, while staring. I proceeded to turn completely around and face my companion, who just laughed and said he was still staring. Oh, to be blonde in Paraguay...what a nuisance. But honestly, my b-day was great and even cooler, one of our investigators made me a cake :) with dulce de leche frosting and coconut. I was very happy :)

Alright, so our baptism with the Solis boys fell through again. Two weekends in a row!! Satan is working hard! Their mom took them to the Chaco and so they didn’t get back in time. We went to the church to clean out the font and refill it and it took us about an hour to clean out all the slime. Next weekend it will happen for sure I just know it!

Maria and two of her three kids came to church!! She is the most humble and also the poorest person I have ever met. Most of the time in Paraguay you just take your heart out and leave it at home because if you don’t, the state of poverty that the people and animals live in will kill you. But we couldn’t help but have our heart strings wrenched a little as Maria told us that she always prays before she leaves to collect bottles and this time, she found a huge sign made of plastic, which became a new roof for her home. Before, it was plastic bags and every time it rained, they would get wet. Her desire to learn the Gospel is great! The Spirit is always strong as we sing with her and teach her. Her kids are very hardworking and obedient. They have to be, they help work everyday. Maria’s education level is 3rd grade. I feel so blessed to have met her and her children as I know they are very special children of God, who are ready to hear His teachings.

We picked them up on Sunday to go to church and to our dismay no one was at the chapel when we arrived. That had never happened as President is usually there (and usually the only person there) but we set up the chairs and everything and began primary with only her family, only to find out that the hour had changed due to daylight savings time!!! Uninformed once again! But she and her family stayed for all 4 hours of church :) and then for Rebeca Rojas’, the President’s daughter’s baptism, after church (5 hours total). Maria and her family are so excited to get baptized and told us that they would have gotten baptized Sunday, if we would let them. Rebeca, who is 8, was afraid of the water and started crying uncontrollably after the baptismal prayer because she didn’t want to go under. Not the best example for our little investigators but what can you do? Hermana Van Dusen and I sang “Lead Kindly Light” and it sounded great! Hermana Rojas started crying because the Spirit was so strong. It was a wonderful experience for everyone.

Also, between classes at church, a dog kept trying to come in the front door. We chased it out and walked out of the church, only to see two beautiful brown horses grazing on the church grass! I wish that Jenna could have been there, it would have been great. But we had to chase them away too.

Well, overall this week was great. We have been working hard. We had two superb days with 8 lessons each and a couple not so great days where no one wanted to let us in. But we have 6 progressing investigators!! More than I have had in quite a while. Da gusto!!

The Semana Santa is what they celebrate here, the whole week of Easter, and they eat a lot of chipa and sopa and visit family. There is no Easter bunny here.

Congrats to Monica Hoggan who is getting married this week!! I am soo happy for you! And Julie Whitman who went through the temple! You are an inspiration to me!

Love you all!!! I am so grateful for my mission--it has been the greatest adventure of my life!!!

Love,

Hermana Brittner

No comments:

Post a Comment