Week 56-What kind of condition is your Book of Mormon in?

March 12, 2012

Visiting less-active members is a big part of missionary work here in Paraguay. I usually visit a number of less-active members everyday. One o f the first questions I ask them is if they will bring out their Book of Mormon. The condition of their Book of Mormon says a lot about their conversion to the Gospel, the strength of their testimony, and their understanding of the doctrine. I ask the question, and then watch carefully to see what kind of expression comes upon their face: “oh, no, I have no idea where it is” or “ummm, sure, I’ll go get it.” Hint hint, inactive members do not read the Book of Mormon because if they did, they wouldn’t be inactive! They would have the desire to come to church! So, if they are able to find it, I examine what condition it is in. Is it covered in a layer of dust? Is it battered, torn, folded, warped or growing mildew? Does it have the names of the missionaries who baptized them in it and the date of their baptism? Are there specific verses, chapters marked? Do they have notes in the margin? Is it brand new and probably never been opened? I ask them if they believe that it is the word of God and if they have a received a witness from the Holy Ghost about the truthfulness of this book. This book is, in fact, the keystone of our religion. If it is true, everything else is true. Joseph Smith was a prophet. The true church of Jesus Christ was restored. Jesus Christ is the Savior.

Now ask yourself these questions: what do people learn about you when they see your Book of Mormon? Is it left, dusty on the shelf all week only to be taken out on Sunday at church, or when you have to prepare a talk? Do you value and treasure it’s teachings? Do you read it everyday as the prophets admonish us? Those who read the Book of Mormon everyday receive a vast amount of blessings that cannot come in any other form. Something to think about. What could be learned from your Book of Mormon? Do you read it everyday? Will you read it everyday? I have learned to really love and value this book on my mission. It clarifies so much and sets our church apart from all the others. It is true and I have learned to drink from it’s pages and value it’s teachings.

One of the challenges of serving in Paraguay is that education is not a big part of the culture, let alone reading. Reading is not a past time here and education is not highly valued. I would say that the adults in the area which I am now serving in which, is close to the Chaco, have about a 3rd grade education level. There are also some who don’t even know how to read and many who do not understand Spanish. It makes reading the Book of Mormon everyday and understanding it a bit difficult. I am learning a lot about how to teach people according to their needs and to teach at a very basic level. You can’t be a good teacher unless the students understand what you are trying to tell them.

Well, we had 3 investigators at church yesterday. Our first investigator is Miguel Solis and he has a baptismal date for next weekend. His dad is reactivating. The second one is Rodrigo who is 9 and the grandson of a member. The third one is named Rodrigo also and he is 17 and a friend of a member. We will see what comes of this.

It’s funny, I have lived in Paraguay for almost a year and I am pretty used to everything, yet there are still moments when the poverty just hits me. It’s been an amazing experience for me to meet the people here, to see how they live, to learn the culture, to see how they have so little and yet are so content. I haven’t heard much about Luna (whose dad passed away) but I expect she is living with some relatives now. He didn’t actually die from a motorcycle accident but a different type of accident. Keep her in your prayers. His death shocked a lot of people here and caused a lot of less-active members to reevaluate what they are doing with their lives and what the Gospel really means to them. Hopefully it will help them change for the better.

Thank you for the early birthday wishes. I can’t believe that it is almost my birthday and that I am almost 23. I never thought I would live to such a ripe old age. (Ha-ha) It has almost been a year since I celebrated my b-day in the MTC. How time flies. If you are thinking about a package, you could send me some coloring books, markers, little toys, little dolls or Hot Wheels to hand out to the kids here. And maybe some Cadbury eggs and Easter candy for me, also dengue repelente, I mean bug spray. I appreciate so much all the wonderful packages that I have received. You have no idea how much joy they bring to a missionary!

Well, enjoy daylight savings time and spring. Hermana deVries was convinced that daylight savings is the same everywhere and so we showed up to church at the wrong time. Now we know- clocks change in April in Paraguay. Oops :) It has been raining here more and more and it gets unbearably hot for a day or so before it rains, to the point that I am literally dripping with sweat. I am very excited for winter.

Oh, CHANGES/transfers are TONIGHT!! This has been the fastest change of my mission. Maybe it’s because we have been working so hard. I am almost positive I am staying and I hope that Hermana deVries will stay too! Even though this would be her 5th change here and that’s a lot! We will see... there is also a new Hermana coming who needs to be trained. But I am holding out for my friend Faith! ;) Hopefully.

LOVE you all, thanks for everything.

Con amor,

Hermana Brittner

PS Lyndon and Katrina- can you send me Jessica Johnson’s mission address? Who knew she was going on a mission? I sure didn’t!

No comments:

Post a Comment