Week 13- Happy 200 Years Paraguay!

`Keep your face to the sun and let the shadows fall behind you`
Hello Mom, Dad, sisters, friends and family!
This weekend Paraguay celebrated 200 years of independence from Spain. Pretty cool time to be here! I got to go to a huge expo-fair type thing in Asuncion with over 200,000 people there and represent the Church at a booth with 3 other companionships. We got called the night before last minute. We were very lucky to be chosen. There were women doing dances in traditional Paraguayan dresses, everyone was wearing soccer shirts from Paraguay and there was a parade with tons of horses. Jenna, you would have loved it. We missionaries contacted up a storm! Give some missionaries a crowd and we will talk to everyone! It was cool! My old companion Hermana Van Dusen was there too which was sweet. We went out and contacted on our own (with only one month’s experience) and we’re able to understand enough to get by. I love talking to people about the Gospel because it can truly help everyone in their lives.
Cool story: I was walking around the expo and these two American girls came up to us to say hi. I looked at one of them and she said, “I think I know you.” I looked and said, “Did you go to BYU?” It turns out it was my friend Mica from BYU! It was so cool!! She worked at the BYU Bookstore too and we played intramurals together too. She is doing an internship here. My companion was like “you would know someone in the middle of a huge fair in Asuncion.” Everywhere I go (in the world) I know someone. It is so cool! She is going to add the picture she took to Facebook. I love my awesome friends!
As far as Kokuere goes, we are starting from scratch because everyone we were teaching is no longer interested or stopped progressing without us. That’s what happens after dang dengue. We had a couple days where it seemed like no one wanted to listen. I was thinking, “what is this, Europe or something?” Even Ismael just wasn’t ready for baptism which is sad because he was really bueno. We found a man who has 8 kids and he seemed pretty interested so hopefully he will become a new investigator for us. So pray that we will find the people who are truly searching for the Gospel and wanting to make changes in their life. Most people are willing to listen and have free Bible lessons but getting them to commit to something is a different story. It’s the Paraguayan way- to be so tranquilo, just sitting on the sidewalk sippin the terrere and saying `adios` to everyone who passes. I love them for it but it makes it hard for them to change and progress in the Gospel.
Something that I am learning- that all of the so-called little things- like reading the Book of Mormon, praying and going to Church, those are the things that really build our faith. Because faith is an action- we have to be doing something if we want our faith to grow. So when we are not doing these things, we are not growing and learning as our Heavenly Father would have us do. We are not inviting the Spirit into our lives. So do the little things!
My health is doing a TON better. I am still napping but doing the rest of the missionary schedule. I really have been blessed with a quick recovery. Thanks for your prayers and love! I appreciate them. Next Monday night we find out about transfers-changes and if I will be staying or leaving the area and if I will still be with Hermana Astle. I hope I stay in Kokuere with her! If I do, we are going to take this place by storm and hopefully we will be having a ton of baptisms.
Interesting tidbit:
-This week I taught a girl who was 15 and married and had a 1 year old. Some more culture shock for me.
Love,
Hermana Brittner

No comments:

Post a Comment