Week 12- Another Epic Week In Paraguay

Dear Mom, Dad, Sisters, Family and Friends,

Hello! It was so good to talk with you yesterday, family. Of course it wasn’t long enough but it was great while it lasted! I love you all and I am so happy to have each one of you in my life!! I am so lucky to have great parents and beautiful, wonderful sisters! Becca, Happy Mothers Day to you! I forget to say that.
And Nana and Grandma B- Happy Mothers Day to you! I love you!

So I have completed 3 months on my mission this past week and will complete one month in Paraguay this week. Time flies! I am feeling MUCH better now and hopefully this week we will be able to work a full day. Dang Dengue!! (pronounced dang-ee).


Some entertaining highlights of the week:

- Zone conference, which consisted of leaving at 5:30 AM and being squished in between Paraguayans on a collectivo (bus) to get to Asuncion in time. It was a great conference though. We watched Elder Holland’s MTC fireside. I love that man. Whenever he talks, it is so powerful. They always introduce new missionaries at zone conferences. The elder introducing me was saying what I like to do in my free time: “jugar futbol” or play soccer. When he said that the whole room got quiet and I was wondering if he had said something wrong (he was speaking Spanish). But no- it’s just that none of the hermanas play soccer here. I think this got me major points with the elders. Haha. Afterwards a Latino elder came up and was like, “Hermana you play soccer?” Haha. Too bad mission rules right now are no playing soccer- EVER. It is so sad. Something about focusing on the work or something.

-In Sunday School, I looked over and there was a little 3 year old boy holding a bird in his hands. It looked like a pigeon wrapped in a paper towel and a washcloth. The boy is petting it and rubbing it against his face lovingly. I couldn’t believe it. His mom seemed totally okay with it. I started laughing out loud. I mean, seriously? Haha. Then in sacrament meeting the branch president said, ''Do not touch the birds. They are being poisoned and will die soon.'' Apparently they have a bird problem at the church and so they are killing them off. That’s why the bird was so mellow.

-We have one good investigator right now- Ismael. He is 24 and looking for God. We asked him if he had prayed to know if the Book of Mormon is true. His response: ''I prayed with a sincere desire to know...and then I fell asleep. And then the next night I prayed again, and I fell asleep again.'' So our goal this week for him: stay awake long enough to get an answer!!

I wanted to share why I chose to serve a mission.

It never ceases to amaze me- the power of the Atonement. How could it? What a beautiful miracle. Someone as perfect and divine as Jesus Christ could love me- not only could He love me but He does. And the hope of the Savior- ''the light of the world'' that is the only hope- the anchor for us in our lives (Ether 12:4). We must anchor ourselves to Christ and never leave Him. In the midst of a world spiraling out of control, it is Christ who says, ¨Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest'' (Matt 11:28-30). Whatever your trials, your problems, your weaknesses- yoke yourself to Him, even the Savior Jesus Christ and He will give you rest. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior- He died for me and He lives again. Go to Him and He will bring you rest.

That is why I am on my mission, to preach the Good News and invite others unto Him.


Well, that’s all I have time for!! I love you all. Thanks for the support and letters! (It takes 3 weeks typically for them to get to Paraguay).


Oh and Kelli B- You are engaged!!! I am so happy for you. I can’t believe it! I fully approve and only wish I could be there. I gotta see pics (esp of the ring!)


Love,

Hermana Brittner

No comments:

Post a Comment