Week 50- Life is beautiful with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Life is beautiful with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Jan. 30, 2012

I think the sky is bigger in Paraguay. Maybe it’s because I’m outside walking around all day and not sitting in a car or in a classroom, but the sky just seems bigger. Looking up, I might see a clear blue sky with white puffy clouds on a hot day or the sun setting a deep orange and light pink at the end of a long day. I just love looking up and thinking about how God made this earth for us to enjoy. Regardless of what trials we are passing through, or where we live, or how old we are, or how much money we make, each morning we are given a brand new day and the ability to create our own world with the choices we make. The sun rises and sets on everyone. I’ve learned here in Paraguay, to take life one day at a time and focus on the challenges and opportunities at hand, instead of living in the future or the past. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. What will you do with it?

Well, this week was full of surprises. First off, I went on a division/split in Ybera Tuesday and Wednesday. This was a surprise because I found out the day before and they just started setting up divisions for hermanas which is really cool. Ybera is right next door to my first area, Kokuere and walking around there, it felt just like Kokuere. I realized what a city girl I have become living in Asunción with all of its luxuries for so long now. Like the fact that people in the city know how to read and write, they usually are educated and have careers, they might have a computer and shoes to play soccer in, they hardly speak Guarani in the city, and the meals they serve usually include more than one rice and meat. Yes, I have been very, very spoiled.

I found out that lunch was going to be at Cristina and Jorge’s home who were strong members from Kokuere, who had moved to Ybera. It was fun to see Christina again! Although I have to admit that when I found out that what she had cooked us was white rice and cow’s liver, I sort of lost my appetite. Welcome to the country!! Yes, I ate it and it wasn’t that bad. The texture was kind of different and it only made me feel weird when I started thinking about my anatomy class at BYU and working with cadavers and human livers. But don’t worry, we won’t get into that.

The other highlight of this adventure was meeting new members and investigators and having new companions for the day, Hermana Fonseka from Honduras and a local, Hermana Ocampos from Capiata. I had a great time and I realized that the work is the same wherever you go (Can I also mention that the house in Ybera does not have air conditioning in the bedroom? Torture!)

A cool experience: On Thursday I was walking in an area near our house on a division with Gabi and we got a reference from a member for her neighbor. We clapped her house and walked in and this lady told us that the night before, her son had been really upset because he had just left his church due to some drama and she had told him, “Don’t worry Son, tomorrow someone will come to our house to talk to us about God.” She started crying while telling us the story because the next day, we showed up. It was really cool and we had a great lesson with her and her son. We are going back to teach tonight. I don’t think they are ready to accept the Gospel but isn’t it wonderful to know that God answers prayers.

On Saturday Hermano Rojas called me to ask if I would give a talk in Sacrament Meeting which I agreed to. On Sunday, President Boyden, the Asuncion Temple President and his wife came to church (they are really nice) so my talk was limited to 5 minutes. I shared my testimony, a scripture and told the ward how much I love and appreciate them, since I am pretty sure I will be leaving here on Wednesday due to transfers/changes. My companions said that it sounded like my farewell speech, which it kind of was. I have learned so much and grown so much in this ward.

My last Sunday (I assume) was wonderful. We had the highest attendance I have seen in 7 months- a full chapel! Lots of less actives that we have been working with came, and one less active said that he wants to prepare to go on a mission! I also found out that my friend, Juan, has decided to go on a mission instead of getting married! That means that Loma has the potential to send out 4 elders this year! I am so excited!

Well, my dear friends and family, time is up! Hope the Davidson’s enjoy their time in Cali! Drink a slurpee for me!

Trunky moment: David Archuleta is going on a mission! Woot woot! Maybe he’ll come to Paraguay!

Con cariño,

Hermana Brittner

No comments:

Post a Comment